Devices, Connectivity and Deployment Considerations
The following is a growing list of devices, operating systems, platforms and deployment considerations for these everchanging technologies. This includes thinking about the speed, resolution and file format for optimal deployment.
See also the hardware page.
Devices, Platforms and Operating Systems
Computer, Phone, Tablet, iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Raspberry Pie, Arduino, Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Firefox, Safari,...
- Broadcasting requirements| https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460-broadcast-requirements
- Profile Picture max file size 200k.
- Max size 184px will also resize to 64px and 32px.
- Artwork acceptable formats JPG,PNG,GIF.
- Max file size 10MB, Max size 506x506.
- square images 1080 width and height.
- vertical image 1080 px width 1350 px height.
- horizontal image 1080 px width 566 px height.
- Profile picture needs a resolution of 160px for width and height.
- Mobile cover photo- 563 px width and 315 px height.
- Online cover photo – 828px width and 315 px height.
- live video
- maximum 720p (720 x 1280) resolution
- bit rate is 4000 kbps.
- Title must be less than 255 characters
- H25a encoded video and AAC encoded audio only.
- Video length 4 hours’ maximum unless you are continually live streaming.
- 360 video
- File size: up to 1.75GB
- Duration less than 6 minutes.
- MP4 container.
(Recommended upload encoding settings | https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en-GB)
- Container: MP4
-No Edit Lists (or the video might not be processed correctly) -moov atom at the front of the file (Fast Start)
- Audio codec: AAC-LC
-Channels: Stereo or Stereo + 5.1 -Sample rate 96 khz or 48 khz
- Video codec: H.264
-Progressive scan (no interlacing) -High Profile -2 consecutive B frames -Closed GOP. GOP of half the frame rate. -CABAC -Variable bit rate. No bit rate limit required, although we offer recommended bit rates below for reference -Chroma subsampling: 4:2:0
- Frame rate
-Content should be encoded and uploaded using the same frame rate that was used during recording.
-Common frame rates include: 24, 25, 30, 48, 50 and 60 frames per second (other frame rates are also acceptable).
-Interlaced content should be deinterlaced before uploading. For example, 1080i60 content should be deinterlaced to 1080p30, going from 60 interlaced fields per second to 30 progressive frames per second.
The bit rates below are recommendations for uploads. Audio playback bit rate is not related to video resolution.
- Recommended video bit rates for uploads
|Type||Frame Rate(24,25,30)||Frame Rate (48, 50, 60)|
|2160 p (4k)||35-45 Mbps||53-68 Mbps|
|1440 p (2k)||16 Mbps||24 Mbps|
|1080 p||8 Mbps||12 Mbps|
|720 p||5 Mbps||7.5 Mbps|
|480 p||2.5 Mbps||4 Mbps|
|360 p||1 Mbps||1.5 Mbps|
- Recommended audio bit rates for uploads
|Type||Audio Bit Rate|
- Resolution and aspect ratio
YouTube uses 16:9 aspect ratio players. If you're uploading a non-16:9 file, it will be processed and displayed correctly as well, with pillar boxes (black bars on the left and right) or letter boxes (black bars at the top and bottom) provided by the player.
Learn how to use resolution and aspect ratios correctly.
ADD specifications here.
Whatsapp used MP4 and AVI format for their videos, although many phones will use a different format, for instance, iphone used .flv, whatsapp will support this format only to convert it to MP4 instead. Existing videos are limited to 16 Megabytes, or about 90 seconds of video on most phones. If you choose an existing video that is larger than 16 Megabytes, you will have the option to trim the length of the video before sending it.
ADD specifications here.