Evening Classes: Monday evenings in Room 2Q25 18:45-21:45 With UWE Alumni and indie web developer Dave Martin
- Tuesday 3th October
- Tuesday 10th October
- Tuesday 17th October
FREE to Digital Media students
With UWE Alumni entrepreneur and independent developer Dave Martin 
Please bring a laptop (if you have one) if you want to work on this outside UWE (no worries if not, you can use the machines in 2Q25)
Files are available here: 
Week One 3rd October - ‘Is there an echo in here?’:
From HTML to PHP. We show how easy it is to transform an HTML page into a PHP script.
- Set up development environment on your laptop,
- Add PHP tags to an HTML template to create Dynamic Pages,
- Using PHP to keep our code DRY.
Week Two 10th Oct - while(!asleep()) sheep++;
We introduce some basic patterns needed for your assignments - Working with Data
- Connect to a one table database,
- Use PhpMyAdmin to run some MySQL,
- Recreate a database table (using Select, Order by and Where SQL Statements and the PHP while loop).
Week Three 17th Oct - A SQL query goes into a bar, walks up to two tables and asks, "Can I join you?"
We address more concepts needed for upcoming assignments - Working with More Data
- Perform CRUD operations on the database table from the Browser,
- Performing Table Joins between two tables
- Using your MySQL database as a source of data for D3.js data.
log into Lynda.com  using your UWE ID and view several video tutorials
- Introducing PHP 
- learn PHP with codeAcademy 
- PHP.net 
- PHP tutorials on w3c.net
- PHP tutorials on phptherightway 
- PHP (and more) snippets on CSS-tricks 
- PHP (and more) articles on Codular 
- PHP videos on YouTube via phpacademy 
Books from UWE Library
- Introducing PHP by David Powers (video)
- Learning PHP and MySQL by Michele E Davis, and Jon Phillips
- PHP & MySQL for dummies by Janet Valade
Try the online library search here;